CURVE Fellowship Application (Spring 2024)
Current application cycle: Spring 2024
Open to: First-Time Researchers
The Center for Undergraduate Research in Viterbi Engineering (CURVE) Program provides a centralized resource for Viterbi undergraduate students to explore research opportunities early in their academic career. In partnership with faculty, CURVE facilitates the placement of Viterbi undergraduate students in research labs to gain hands-on experience on faculty-led projects. CURVE fellows receive stipends and participate in professional development opportunities that prepare them as future leaders in engineering and computer science research.
- Provide Early Exposure & Access to Research
- Provide students with knowledge about research opportunities at Viterbi early in their academic career
- Create a pipeline of opportunities that allow students to grow as researchers throughout their undergraduate experience
- Promote Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Promote diversity, equity and inclusion in the undergraduate research experience
- Support student researchers from historically underrepresented groups within STEM
- Build Student’s Capacity as Researchers
- Train students in technical knowledge and interpersonal skills required to become successful researchers
- Allow students to explore career pathways related to research, including preparation for science and engineering graduate programs
- Foster a Community of Researchers
- Facilitate mentoring relationships between undergraduate students and their research advisors, including graduate students and faculty
- Support and train PhD students as mentors to undergraduates in their research experience.
- Establish monthly meetings and showcase opportunities so students can engage frequently with the broader research community
All CURVE applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be enrolled as full-time students (12 units minimum) for the semester in which they receive an award
- Be declared a major in one of the degree programs in the Viterbi School of Engineering.
- Students of any citizenship status are eligible to participate (however, please note that participation in certain research projects may require U.S. citizenship)
- Demonstrated ability to commit required weekly hours to research
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
The Spring 2024 CURVE application is open to:
- First-Time Researchers
- First-time research participants are defined as Viterbi undergraduate students who have not received prior formal research experience at USC and has not previously received the CURVE fellowship. This category generally, though not exclusively, applies to first and second year undergraduate students.
- First-Time Researchers submit an application to be matched with listed research opportunities from participating labs.
- A limited number of first-time research participants will be selected to receive $1250 per semester for up to 2 semesters funded by the CURVE program. Funding terms are for fall and spring semesters only. First-Time Researchers who are awarded the CURVE fellowship in the fall must demonstrate satisfactory research progress to continue receiving funding in the spring.